St. Peter Claver, 1888 to Present

Exterior_SPCPM_2019-07-24 (1).jpg

Title

St. Peter Claver, 1888 to Present

Description

The parish was founded by the Jesuit Order in 1888 to serve African American Catholics. The church building moved to its permanent location at 131 Ward Street in 1913. The school was founded in 1903 by St. Katharine Drexel to educate black and Indian children. The Sisters of Mercy first staffed the school, followed by St. Katharine's Sisters of the Blessed Sacrament, and more recently by appropriately prepared church members and staff.

Citation

“St. Peter Claver, 1888 to Present,” Diocese of Savannah's Black Catholic History, accessed June 16, 2021, https://diosavblackcatholichistory.omeka.net/items/show/7.

Geolocation